Friday, June 13, 2008

Last Thoughts...

Reflection:
I didn’t really have any expectations. The only time I actually did have expectations was when I first looked at the syllabus. I found out that we had to go visit urban schools. That fleshed out they stereotypes that I had seen in the media. I knew that they were stereotypes, but I could not help myself to visualize these depictions in my expectations. When I went to the schools my expectations were redefined into completely positive ones. I was hoping to learn more about the at risk schools. I know that the schools we visited were the better ones, but it would have been better for me personally to see the other schools and what is working to get across to these students.
The main thing that I learned and can say I can use is that regardless to urban or suburban students… they all have potential to learn and become successful. I also learned that the urban pedagogy is something that should be universalized in any area and not just concentrated in the urban sector. I also learned how to utilize technology in my future classroom. I never have the chance nor did I know how to create a blog and a webpage. I think that both of these technologies should be implemented in the class room.
The biggest challenge of the course was trying to fully understand the struggle that these children face everyday. It is one thing say that these students have it rough, but to really understand it is something difficult to do. The other thing I had trouble with and still do is all the politics that exists in the urban school district. It seems that these schools priority is everything, but the students. I know that these politician and share holders have their best interest in mind, but in the end it seems to always sell the students short.
My greatest accomplishment in the class was being able to create my own blog and webpage. The reason why I am proud of this accomplishment is because I am a huge advocate of using technology in the classroom. This was something that I didn’t know how to do or use properly… so now I can say that I know how to utilize this technology.
The best thing I can tell future teachers who are looking into the urban districts is try to have an open mind. I had preconceived notions about the typical urban school and because I have an open mind I was able to reject that false reality and instilled a new one in its place. This does not limit itself to the perception of these students, but also in any other teacher situation that may occur in the classroom. Everyone is unique and as a future teacher in any district it is important to keep an open and fluid mind with your students. Some situations are out of your understanding, but it is your job to try to understand the students’ situation. Another thing that I can suggest is build a strong relationship with everyone in and out of school. That means the students parents, the other teachers, principal, and etc. I feel it is important to keep a strong relationship with these people and other because it will only strengthen you education and pedagogy.
At first I did not want to teacher in an urban school setting, but now I feel that I can do it. Still, I feel not quite ready, but who ever is? Teaching is a learning process that should never end. Just like students learn from the teacher… the teacher should also learn from his or her students to make their education even stronger. Finally, what I will bring to the classroom is all I’ve learned from this class and others. That is to remain fluid enough to understand other people’s needs, but not too fluid that you will break in half. After all, our job is to teach. We are teachers, but we must also be facilators of knowledge.

Course Feedback:
The most helpful thing I thought was actually visiting the schools and also researching for the website. I found so many useful websites and organizations that help urban schools and strengthen the community around them. Another important and useful thing I thought was beneficial for urban schools was the literature you made us read and the discussions that followed based on the readings.
I really didn’t have that many complaints about the structure of the course. The only thing that was difficult was making it to the schools during the visiting week. I’m not sure if it would have been better during a fall or spring semester. Still, other than that I think we spent all our short allotted time in the right aspects of the course.
Yeah, the PDK did suck a little. Personally, I liked all the other readings. What I would like to see and it’s not just in this course, but other courses as well. We all talk about the child, the student, the learner and so one, but it’s usually someone else but the student. Meaning that I would like to read some first hand accounts of what children actually think about teachers, school, life and etc. I just think that is my personal interest and I haven’t really come across any form of literature that actually addresses the students’ voice without the interjection of someone outside their circle or community.
I thought all your teaching techniques were very useful. I definitely loved the culture collage project. I felt that should have been moved up earlier so we can get to know each other better… some sort of icebreaker that you can mold into a deeper assignment which I thought worked great (P.S. I’m going to use this in my class). The one thing I liked about your teacher was that… you weren’t some bland teacher. You actually had a name and a personality about you, which I’m hoping will resonate in my teaching as well.

No comments: