Friday, June 13, 2008

Jersey City and Jim Jones...

Today I was listening to the news on the radio and found something difficult to say how I feel about it. Basically, Jim Jones is a well known rapper in the hiphop community. He was scheduled to have a performance and promote HIV/AIDS awareness in Jersey City. Mayor Jerramiah Healy cancelled the performance and talk due to the rapper's lyric content. He said that they promoted violence against women, cops, and promoted guns & drug trafficking. Most people view this person as a role model... so I'm trying to understand what the best way to handle the situation is. I'm just a little confused. For the full article click the link below...
http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow/index.ssf/2008/06/jersey_city_cancels_rap_concer.html

1 comment:

MikeK said...

I am confused as well. Which message would be more helpful for students in the real world? I agree that Jim Jones lyrics should not be advocated, or endorsed, but the students might have really listened to the information about HIV/AIDS if Jim Jones was a role model of theirs. That one is quite a conundrum. Intersting post.